Do you want to get in on the ground floor of an award-winning global startup that is solving a truly meaningful problem in the world?
PenguinSmart is looking for a Senior Software Engineer/ Team Leader to help contribute to the development of our AI-assisted online rehab therapy services enabling more effective speech & language improvement for children.
- Under the mentorship of industry veterans, drive web development projects for PenguinSmart's online service through the various phases of the project life cycle. Assess new initiatives to determine scope, steps, and necessary time-to-completion.
- Produce high quality code by practicing test driven development and writing unit tests; code should be scalable, robust, and performant
- Participate in user research to determine insights to improve systems and services
- Participate in Web data builds and deployment efforts.
- Document new development, procedures or test plans as needed.
- Develop for cross-browser/device compatibility in a graded browser support environment.
- Maintain existing code and functionality once it is assimilated into the ongoing operations of the business.
- Work in an Agile development cycle using advanced Scrum methodologies.
Time Commitment: Full time
Compensation & Benefits: Based on experience; annual base salary plus stock options and performance bonus, social insurances (health, pension, employment), flexibility to work from home, paid continuous training, mobile phone and transportation allowance, 1-on-1 coaching by seasoned engineers with over 20 years of experience
Location: Taipei office. The candidate will work closely with teammates distributed across the US, Taiwan, and mainland China.
- Proficient in Mandarin Chinese and English
- Bachelors Degree or above in Computer Science or related fields
- Have 2-3+ years of full-stack web development experience, preferably in Node.Js, Ruby-on-Rails, SQL (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL), and React.JS
- Working knowledge of ROR and an understanding of classes and inheritance as well as the principles of code-reuse in object-oriented programming
- Familiar with writing REST APIs and GraphQL
- Familiar with AWS and CircleCI and building data pipeline
- Familiar with Unit Testing, Integration Testing, and Test-driven development
Metrics & data-driven: you are not afraid of analyzing data to find insights
Strong logical problem-solving: when you encounter a problem, you proactively look for solutions or create a plan to find a solution
Goal-oriented and self-managing: can plan tasks and manage own priorities & time to reach goals without requiring step-by-step instructions and constant oversight
Hunger to teach yourself & to constantly improve: you like to learn new things and teach others, rather than wait to be taught; you imagine ways to do things better
Can adapt quickly to a fast-changing environment: learn new tools on your own, courage to be stretched professionally, fast learner and good listener
Comfortable with ambiguity: you can move forward when faced with uncertainty; in fact, you like bringing order to uncertain situations
Humility and good sense of humor: especially critical for a startup
Customer-oriented: dedicated to exceeding the expectations of internal and external customers; use first-hand customer insights to improve products and services; talk and act with customers in mind; establish effective relationships
Good to Have
- Related experience with disadvantaged families or developmentally delayed children
- Experience in any of the following:
- have e-commerce or SaaS experience
- have experience building online services for the mainland China market
- Project management
- Previous professional interaction with doctors, therapists, teachers, or parents
- An interest in sharing knowledge about new technologies with the team and facilitating the implementation of such technologies across projects.
PenguinSmart is enabling intelligent, individualized rehab therapy for all, starting with online speech and language therapy support for children. Founded by Harvard & MIT alumni, our team combines the latest data sciences with expert insights to empower caregivers to become a key part of the rehab journey. We are first remotely serving the 1 in 6 families with developmentally delayed children while developing global solutions for other conditions. Our solutions speed up rehab progress and allow therapists to oversee more patients without sacrificing quality of care. PenguinSmart is backed by Alchemist Accelerator, was named one of the Top 10 Disruptive Parenting Companies by Disruptor Daily, and was recently chosen as one of the "Top 100 Healthcare Visionaries" in the US. mypenguinsmart.com (EN) | qierbao.com (CN)
If you are interested, please send your bilingual (English and Chinese) cover letter & CV/resume to email@example.com.