Who You Are
As Justworks brings to market a suite of products to serve the needs of small businesses, we have established VP, Product Design as a new executive role to lead our efforts in delivering end-to-end omnichannel service experiences.
Having started as a service to help entrepreneurs run their business, Justworks is evolving to support the ecosystem around those entrepreneurs. This role supports that evolution by elevating design as a strategic contributor, weaving together our range of capabilities into a coherent whole.
Reporting to the SVP of Product, this role sits as a peer with Product Management, Engineering, and Corporate Strategy, serving as a business-wide leader.
Your Success Profile
- Oversee the development of a concrete vision of a future-state end-to-end service experience
- Lead the creation, and maintain, a UX Quality Framework (what does “good” look like?)
- Establish Strategic Design practices
- Co-define product development processes
- Accountable for Product Design as a value-driving function
- Educate peers and stakeholders on the potential for Design
- Advocate for what Design needs to succeed
- Contribute to long-term planning, ongoing strategy
- Clarify Product Design’s organizational identity
- Develop standards for recruiting, hiring, and performance management; attract and retain world-class talent, building a high-performing organization
- Maintain psychological safety and respect to encourage radical candor
- Establish professional development guidance and career paths
- Create and foster a design culture that centers around business goal alignment, customer centricity, and company values,
- Cultivate an environment where people can do their best work, develop deep subject matter expertise, and grow their leadership skills
- Craft an organizational structure that supports coherence across a multi-product experience
- Inaugurate Design Operations practice
- Strong relationship with operational functions (e.g., HR, Finance) to ensure Design gets what it needs
How You Will Do Your Work
As a VP, Product Design, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following:
Strategic Mindset - Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies
Instills Trust - Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, inclusion, and authenticity
Influence & Leadership - Fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
Resourcefulness - Taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have.
Taking Responsibility - Being accountable, being committed, and accepting ownership for one's decisions, actions, and behavior.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and strongly desire to know and help others.
Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
Your experience includes:
- Having lead Product/UX Design teams with at least 20 people
- Shipping products of high quality and with impact for both the business and users
- Driving organizational transformation in elevating Design’s influence and impact
- Leading efforts to realize coherence of experience over a multi-product portfolio
- Instituting modern product development practices such as product discovery
- Working with insights derived from quantitative and qualitative research to inform Product and Design direction
- Overseeing Strategic Design efforts, including leading a “north star”-style vision
- Compelling people leadership, including career growth paths, and establishing psychological safety
- Successful cross-functional engagement with product management, engineering, and marketing
- Collaboration with HR, facilities, IT, finance, and other operational functions to ensure your team has the resources it needs
Qualities you possess:
- Credibility at all levels from the boardroom to the front line
- Able to freely move between the 10,000ft of corporate strategy to the 1in of design delivery without getting lost in the details
- Systems thinker managing and weaving the various components of Justworks’ offerings
- Compelling communicator and storyteller
- Passion for the SMB space
And we’d love it if you had:
- SMB experience; SaaS experience
- Lead cross-discipline teams, including UX research, content design, service design, and design thinking / facilitation
- Created frameworks for UX/design quality
- Oversaw Design Operations / Program Management practices (onboarding; relationships with HR, finance)
- Oversaw design systems development
- Lead a design organization from pre- to post-IPO
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $275,000.00 to $300,000.00 per year.
Justworks focuses on Internet, SaaS, Enterprise Software, Payments, and Human Resources. Their company has offices in New York City and New York. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Justworks has raised $143M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2020.
You can view their website at http://www.justworks.com or find them on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.