Bad software is everywhere, and we’re tired of it. Sentry is on a mission to help developers write better software faster, so we can get back to enjoying technology.
With more than $217 million in funding and 90,000 organizations that believe we’re on to something, we're building performance and error monitoring tools that help companies like Disney, Microsoft, and Atlassian spend less time fixing bugs and more time building products. If you like to selfishly build things that make your digital life better, come help us build the next generation of software monitoring tools.
About the Role
Sentry is used by engineering organizations to monitor the health of their software. We ingest data about errors, performance regressions, broken user-flows that resulted from a code release and our users want us to do more with those data. We are in the exploratory stage for a new product or workflow to help companies automatically assess the health of releases, and generalize it to handle use-cases on mobile, web, and server deployments.
As a Senior Full-Stack Engineer working on the team, you will have the opportunity to ideate on new product ideas, build proof-of-concept implementations, and collaborate on early versions to get in the hands of customers to figure out if we're onto something. If you are a product engineer who thrives on ambiguity, and is willing to build software even if there's a strong chance we'll throw it away, this role could be for you.
In this role you will:
- Scope, plan, and own the full-stack implementation for features in our open-source codebase while finding the right balance between execution pace and code quality.
- Work alongside EM, PM and Product Designer to ideate, execute, validate and iterate quickly on proof-of-concepts.
- Join customer calls to get first-hand feedback on your work, and grow into an empathetic, thick-skinned listener.
- Have opportunities to work on high-impact projects that touch the entire stack: from multi-region deployments; across the entire event ingestion pipeline; delving into search and storage systems; and surfacing that data to our customers with our backend and frontend codebases (did we mention that all of them are open-source?).
- Review code and mentor teammates to help them grow.
- Build tests for your code to maintain a high standard of code quality for Sentry.
- Set up monitoring and alerting to ensure application health and uptime.
- Write documentation to support new features with our technical writing staff.
You'll love this job if you:
- You are a product-minded software engineer. You regard Product and Design as your peers, and you seek their input and collaboration.
- You feel energized by user feedback (even if they are negative) and you can read between the lines to ensure that the team builds a car, even if the users are asking for a faster horse.
- You operate with a high level of ownership over the outcomes of your work, and you expect the same from your team.
- You want to delve deeper than the business-logic layer to learn about the search and storage systems powering the APIs that you are using.
- You are excited to roll up your sleeves to dive into another team’s codebase to unblock yourself, making good, maintainable changes and earning the recognition of your counterparts.
- You want to be the change you seek in the world of dev tooling. You recognize that you are the target user for Sentry, and you want to have an influence on the things that make it into the product.
- 6+ years of professional engineering experience, building web applications at scale.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, or related field, and/or relevant experience.
- Experience owning a technical project for its entire lifecycle: from design and implementation to testing and deployment.
- Experience with Python/Django or TypeScript/React is a plus. Languages/frameworks can be learned.
Bonus: You have worked closely with Release Engineers, Production Engineers, and/or Infrastructure Engineers. You understand their daily work and pain points.
Bonus: You are familiar with CI/CD pipelines and deployment workflows. You are knowledgeable on the entire process that happens between merging a PR and the code going into production.
The base salary range (or hourly wage range, if applicable) that Sentry reasonably expects to pay for this position is $190,000 to $220,000. A successful candidate’s actual base salary (or hourly wage) amount will be determined by a variety of relevant factors including, without limitation, the candidate’s work location, education, work and other relevant experience, skills, and job-related knowledge. A successful candidate will be eligible to participate in Sentry’s employee benefit plans/programs applicable to the candidate’s position (including incentive compensation, equity grants, paid time off, and group health insurance coverage). See Sentry Benefits for more details about the Company’s benefit plans/programs.
Sentry (sentry.io) focuses on Analytics, Open Source, Real Time, Apps, and Software. Their company has offices in San Francisco, Seattle, Toronto, and Vienna. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Sentry (sentry.io) has raised $66.5M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2019.
You can view their website at https://www.sentry.io or find them on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.